Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Nazca, Ballestas, and Huacachina

It was an amazing weekend! I started early on saturday morning and took the Soyus bus for 6 hours to Ica. I immediately took the bus to Nazca and arrived there about 5PM. I ate a Lomo Saltado (beef with vegetables that was delicious) and asked for a beer. I didn't know that I was supposed to ask for a small one because they brought a 650ml Cristal that I had to drink. I stayed at the Camiluz hostal where Mr. Fernando was beyond nice. At about 10PM I met with a friend from a friend and went out to dinner and clubbing where I was the only one dancing salsa the Colombian way. I don't know how they dance that here, but I didn't care! At about 2AM I woke up Fernando and went to bed. The next day I struggled for at least 3 hours to catch a plane to see the Nazca lines, but at the end I was able to see them. They were really impressive from the sky, but the ride was quite jumpy too. After I landed I decided to postpone lunch until Huacachina. This is an oasis situated about 4 km away from Ica and accessible by taxi. I arrived there for a late fish at a small store and a very pleasant starry night. At the hostel I saw one of the most unusual things: a guy fell asleep while he was checking his email. I know it sounds sim, but I was trying to get online when I heard him snoring next to me with his Gmail page on the screen (go figure!). Next morning was a very early trip to Paracas and the Ballestas islands where there were Penguins!!! I have probably not seen that many birds at the same time and the pictures in facebook show that I was really amazed by them. It was amazing! After that and a very pleasant lunch with an English guy that had an around-the-world ticket after finishing his helicopter career with the RAF and a Canadian fellow that had been pretty much everywhere in the world.... except Colombia. Last part of the trip was a dune buggy ride and sandboarding around Huacachina, quick packing and a 5 hour bus ride back to Lima. This country has a lot of places to see!!!

1 comment:

  1. Quiero ir alla!!! Todo se suena super cheveres y las fotos!! Lo mejor!!!

    ReplyDelete