Sunday, November 7, 2010

I ran the 10k and other adventures

I did it again yesterday even though my left knee was killing me today the whole day. That is why I had to stay home and read "La fiesta del chivo" from Vargas Llosa. It was a really crowded race with 10,000 people and a chilly weather at almost 8:00PM. Kind of weird to have a race that late, but it was really nice. I had my first week alone at work and it was interesting to experience being my own boss and setting my own schedule. I even got to work from home on wednesday and even though I thought it was going to be difficult to push myself to be on schedule I actually did a lot. I also found out that I had a wonderful street restaurant that sells lunch everyday at a very cheap price and with that home cooking feeling that is priceless (it includes soup, main dish, desert and juice for about U$ 3, great deal!). I am also planning to see a movie during the European film festival at Universidad del Pacifico this tuesday (it is less than 1 block away) and hopefully see some friends of my parents that I was supposed to meet since I arrived. I am also planning to have local trips during the weekends and hoping to hear from anybody that will arrive in Peru before the end of the year to plan the trip to Machu Picchu. Another great discovery was a small little laundry store that charges per weight and did all my clothes including some basic ironing. I will be a loyal customer specially since it is on my daily walk to work. On the food side I have a couple of updates. I finally visited a Chifa, which is a Peruvian style Chinese restaurant. They had good fried rice and a chicken with some sort of nut sauce, which was delicious. I am also a great fun now of the Triple Sandwich, which is two slices of bred cut into triangles in top of each other. They fill it with three ingredients, and so far the best had been the one with chicken, avocado, and cheese and the pineapple, chicken, and ham (just today for dinner :) I am looking forward to a great week meeting with people from local and national health coordination centers and the three largest public hospitals in Lima.

1 comment:

  1. I'm starting to think your blog went from "Juancho philanthropic adventures" to "Juancho the food critic!" Awesome!.... bring me some quinoa please! It's like $15/lb at the store. I bet it's like $2/kg in Peru.

    ReplyDelete